Saturday, January 1, 2011

Compiz Plugin `Grid'

I used 15" and 17" small monitors before as I have no money :-(. Recently, I bought a 22" wide screen monitor and it makes lots of change for me.

In the past, I maximized all the application as the screen size was not too large. 17" for a browsing application is suitable at all. However, for 22", a web page is too large if I maximized the browser. In fact, good use of wide screen monitor should be view multiple applications at the same time. Thus, I should use half of monitor for browsing and remaining area for other applications.

Fortunately, there is a simple awesome plugin in Compiz named `Grid'. This plugin changes your screen to a 3x3 matrix and you can put one application in one entry by using Alt + Ctrl + (Num pad 1 - 9) [you can change the setting via compiz setting manger]. Hope that this application can help you to organize your application better and have a better feeling of using Linux!

Related Resource:
  1. http://www.webupd8.org/2009/12/linux-w-compiz-tile-position-and-resize.html

1 comment:

  1. Short correction: it's a 3x2 matrix (3 windows side by side, 3 on top, 3 on bottom)

    ReplyDelete