Friday, October 1, 2010

[HOWTO] Connect Creative Zen with Ubuntu

I have a Creative Zen, and if you need to transfer music to the device, you need another software to help you. In the past when I was using Fedora, there is a software named Gnomad2 http://gnomad2.sourceforge.net/. After compilation, you can use it can transfer your favorite songs.

However, it seems that Ubuntu 10.04 has some problem about this software. I use apt-get to install it first. Then, plugged in the zen, unmounted and started gnomad2. Gnomad2 crashed immediately. I tried "gnomad2" in terminal and received the following output:

Queried Creative ZEN
Segmentation fault

Then, I googled this situation and some tell me I should compile from the source. But it doesn't work for me, here is the guide and you can try

1. Uninstall gnomad2 from your system
$ sudo apt-get remove gnomad2


2. Clean out any left over dependencies
$ sudo apt-get autoremove


3. Download the source files for gnomad2
$ apt-get source gnomad2

Note:
a. You may get some error about dependency, you need to use apt-get to install the dependency if needed.
In my case, it told me I do not have "dpkg-source" then I
$ sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev

b. "apt-get" not "sudo apt-get", you don't need root permissions here as we're not installing anything. Using the sudo command will cause permissions problems later when trying to delete the source files.

4. Configure
$ ./configure

Note:
a. For the first time, it may get following errors
No package 'glib-2.0' found
No package 'gthread-2.0' found
No package 'libnjb' found
No package 'gtk+-2.0' found
Then to solve this problem,
sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-dev

sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev

sudo apt-get install libnjb-dev

b. For the second time,
checking for id3tag.h... no
configure: error: *** id3tag.h C header is needed (missing -dev package?) ***\n*** You might have erroneously installed id3lib instead of libid3tag ****\nThis distinction is very delicate, so PLEASE pay attention! ***
To solve this problem,
$sudo apt-get install libid3tag0-dev


c.For the third time
configure: error: Your intltool is too old. You need intltool 0.35.0 or later.

$ sudo apt-get install intltool


5. compile
$ make


6. install
$ sudo make install


7. Gnomad2 installed successfully! Delete the files and directs apt-get downloaded.

Unfortunately, when I launch Gnomad2, it said it cannot find the device. Finally, I realized that Ubuntu can support my Zen using RhythmBox by default and I can use it to transfer music. Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment