Friday, September 24, 2010

Communicate Google with Command

On Linux, we offer need to type command and I think using command is better than by clicking most time. This is because I need to control the mouse precisely to certain location. This is not convenient for me at all. In addition, I don't want to leave my hand out of the keyboard, so I remember some useful command such as using Ctrl+L in Firefox to type URL instead of using the mouse to click on the url field. I can navigate different web without leaving keyboard. If you are vim experienced user, I think you should like this firefox plugin - Vimperator which you can navigate webpage with your keyboard only.

Now, Google provides many web applications such as Gmail, Contact, Google Docs and this blog Blooger, etc. Fortunately, Google provides a command line tool for them also named GoogleCL http://code.google.com/p/googlecl/. This is a command line tools for the Google Data APIs.

You can do many things using this command tools just like

1. Blogger - create a new post
$ google blogger post --title "create post using GoogleCL" "I can create a new post in command line"


2. Picasa - upload new image to Picasa
$ google picasa create --title "GoogleCL Photos" *.jpg


3. YouTube - upload new video to YouTube
$ google youtube post --category Education linux_command.mpg


For more usage, you can visit the GoogleCL official website. You will find it is extremely useful and you can cooperate with Crontab with GoogleCL, you can do more such as creating a Calendar everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment