Tuesday, September 28, 2010

[HOWTO] Use IBus in Ubuntu

Since I don't know why I can't install fedora 13 in my computer, I installed Ubuntu 10.04 instead. The first thing I need to do after installation is to type Chinese. When I used Fedora 12, I used to use gcin as my favorite input method. So, now I have a chance to switch to IBus as the default input method in Ubuntu is IBus.

To start IBus
Click System >> Preferences >> IBus Preferences

You will see a message which reads:
IBus daemon is not started. Do you want to start it now?
Then simply click, "Yes"

After clicking yes, the following message shows:
IBus has been started! If you can not use IBus, please add below lines in $HOME/.bashrc, and relogin your desktop.
export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
You can try to follow the message if you have any problem, but I skip it since I didn't have any.

IBus Preferences
In the general tab , you can check "Show input method name on language bar" (I suggest to do so).
In the input method tab, you can add any input method you want.
I use Cangjie(倉頡) as my main input method, and by default, there is a input method named cangjie(m17n) in the list. However, I don't like this one since it insert a space after every character.
I prefer to use cangjie3(倉三). The way to install it is to use apt-get
open a terminal and run
$ sudo apt-get install ibus-table-cangjie

After installation
you can find cangie3 under Chinese menu. Then click add.

Let IBus start automatically when restarting my computer
Go to System >> Preferences >> Startup Applications
Click "add" button and input following details
Name: IBus daemon
Command: /usr/bin/ibus-daemon -d
Comment: start IBus daemon when Gnome starts

To use IBus
press control + space to enable or disable the IBus

No comments:

Post a Comment